Computer Repairs Services Solutions & Support - Victor Harbor
I have solutions to solve all your IT technical problems. Windows & Apple (macOS).
Welcome, I'm Peter Bowey and I am your technical support and help resource for all issues related to the operation, maintenance, repair, recovery and service of your Desktop, Laptop and iPad. Check out my About Me page.
You can read my client testimonials here.
About Me: I offer a workshop based technical support, repair and service locality for Laptops, Desktops, iPads, and iPhones. I am highly skilled in both Apple and Windows platforms (software & hardware) with 32+ years technical experience in the service field (engineer).
My Work History
My History: 32 years certified with Electronics Servicing, Engineering and Design background with; Radio, TV, VCR Electronic Servicing, Electronics Audio & Radio Frequency design, Computer Troubleshooting, Software and Networking. South Australia.
Get in touch with me. You can expect a reply between 7:30am - 7:30pm (AEDT) - 7 days per week. Generally email is the preferred option to initiate your request for technical information or seek assistance on a problem. My promptness to respond to such emails is very fast!
What I do (Video Intro)
Computer maintenance aims to get rid of all the malfunctioning problems of a computer, whether internal or external. It includes activities such as updating operating systems as well as installing any other required updates. It also involves ensuring that any antivirus or malware protection software is working properly.
The correction of a problem after the computer has already broken down. The goal of this form of maintenance is to restore operability to the system by either correcting the problem or replacing the damaged components. Common corrective measures involve removing virus's and malware, uninstalling harmful programs, reformatting, and running a system restore, among others.
To transfer data from your old system to a new device. Files, such documents, pictures, music, pictures and emails. Settings, such as user profiles, emails, accounts, passwords, favourites, bookmarks, wallpaper and other personalization. Programs, such as transferring Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, Quickbooks, TurboTax, Firefox, Chrome, and other programs to the new computer.
Are programs slow to open? Strange error messages popping up everywhere? These are some of the symptoms of a virus or spyware.
Email setup for Outlook (see guide), Windows LIVE MAIL,Thunderbird, Apple mail, Gmail and Hotmail. Installation, configuration and setup of licensed software products.
Apple, Samsung, Windows & some others! New tablet setup. Advice about apps that can help you be more connected and more productive. Backup and restoration of user data.
Help setting up an external and / or online backup solutions like Google Drive so your important files and photos are safe and protected. Re-imaging of computers to restore default configurations. File Recovery.
Computer support and advice for your personal computer queries (mostly free). Workshop and Remote support (requires a working Internet) for common issues to the operation of your software.
Computer Support & Maintenance
Regular computer maintenance is very important and should not be overlooked. At home or at work, all computers require servicing. Installing new software or hardware components will affect how any computer works. These changes, no matter how minor, can create problems without you even knowing it. I provide experienced, usually same day, workshop computer maintenance services to minimise the chances of anything going wrong with your equipment. I will make sure your computers are up-to-date with the latest versions of software, along with appropriate security and operating system patches. Keep up with the 'latest informative updates' by visiting my blog section
Making the most out of technology involves more than investing in the right service and hardware solutions. Equally imperative, you must ensure proper customisation and support to realize their best potential. Technology is my passion, and I have spent over 32 years cultivating the necessary IT skills and expertise to support and equip those users in the Fleurieu Peninsula.
My support ranges from troubleshooting errors, to resolving issues, repairs, and optimizing your computer for better performance, computer data migration, recovery, security and and much more. If. you are experiencing a problems or you just want better peace of mind, then please contact me.
I know how worrying and frustrating it can be when the gadgets you depend on stop working properly. So I talk in plain English and explain what we can do about a problem. You won’t ever be left scratching your head. And when I have fixed your problem, you can join with others and write a review to say thank you. It’s always a pleasure to share encouragement for I work some long hours to help you and for considerably less than others standard service charge fees.
I provide value by recommending certain IT products and helping to educate customers on how to make technology work for them (usually as a free part of other paid workshop services.
Remote Support capabilities & Maintenance
After an initial service in my workshop, many of my customers will make use of my Remote Support capabilities to offer solutions for software issues. Once I have earned your trust, solving a basic software problem remotely can be very cost effective for you and result in a much faster service. Using remote support, with your permission and approval, I can take control of your mouse and keyboard remotely, as if I am sitting next to you. I chat to you on the phone as we help resolve your issues or walk you through areas of difficulty. Click on Remote Support to see how easy it is to establish a remote support connection and for me to fix many of your problems or provide tailored tuition for you without any travel or fuel.
For most of us computers, tablets and mobile phones have become integrated into our everyday life. For all the great advantages that this technology provides, setting up and maintaining your devices can often be tricky and time-consuming. So, to ensure your support needs are met, and everything runs smoothly, I am here to share my knowledge and help you get the best from your purchase. New computer, old computer, even really old computer (yes even that old Windows XP).
I have the skill to transfer your data and (often) programs from your old machine to your new one, whether it be PC to PC, Mac to Mac, or PC to Mac. Additionally, I can build you a multiple operating system; such as running Windows 10 on a Mac OS X. And that is often a technical challenge for the average computer owner. I can even downgrade operating systems if required and without losing your current data. I use external disk imaging (archiving) to with your data to make sure nothing gets lost.
Both Windows and Mac have access to Adobe Reader, iTunes, iCloud, Thunderbird, Gmail, Google Chrome and Firefox. To Sync from your iPhone to your PC is easy enough with iCloud.
Apple - Windows Integration
Do I need [want] a Windows laptop, iPad, MacBook or Chromebook?
Current devices broadly run on three different operating systems that run on the four main varieties of portable devices:
Some of the most common devices run Microsoft"s Windows operating system. They are able to perform wide-ranging tasks and have the greatest variety in models, brands and pricing. Microsoft recently released Windows 10 S, which is designed to compete with Chrome OS, limiting some apps and downloads. Windows laptops have also been considered [much] more vulnerable to virus's. Update: Microsoft have recently released a new Surface Pro Ultra-light and versatile "3-in-1" device.
The common tasks people perform on their laptop or desktop PC are the very same tasks in which the iPad excels: surfing the web, checking email, finding out what friends and family are up to on Facebook, playing games, balancing the checkbook, writing a letter or a document for school, etc. General productivity has also become increasingly easy on the iPad. The virtual touchpad makes manipulating text easier, the iPad supports Microsoft Office and includes a free version of Apple's iWork, and if you need to do a lot of typing you simply connect a Bluetooth keyboard.
The MacBook Pro, MacBook and MacBook Air are all Apple laptops running on Mac OS. They are generally seen as powerful, smooth and reliable (require less service). They are best for high performance software and connectivity to other Apple products, but are [likely] more expensive.
Google’s Chrome OS used on Chromebooks is largely limited to online use, essentially operating like a web browser. Rather than installing programs users access them through Google's Chrome web store. They have limited storage capacity, but are fast and inexpensive.Generally businesses lean more towards Windows cloud-based solutions, which is a fancy way of saying they are building software on the web, many business users use software that requires Microsoft Windows.
iPad with external bluetooth keyboard and stand
MS Surface Pro and Apple MacBook Pro
Computer Security Precautions
Precautions for Computer Users
Cyber Crime Targets
Social Media Attacks and Threats
Secure Your Online Banking
- Never use same PIN CODE or PASSWORD for multiple bank accounts
- Never use unprotected computers at cybercafe's for internet banking
- Do not keep your pin code and cards in the same location
- Never leave the computer unattended when using internet banking in a public location
- Register with your personal mobile for SMS / Email alerts for funds transactions
- Never respond to emails asking for your password or pin code
- Be safe! Visit bank websites by always typing the URL in the address bar
- Log off and close your browser when you are finished using internet banking
- When using a public ATM always conceal the keypad before entering your pin code
- Before using a public ATM, check that there is no extra device installed in the surroundings
Secure Your FaceBook
- Use the optional extra security features to access account (Login alert etc)
- Consider using a login notification alert
- If possible, only allow specific individuals to view your FB contents (Videos, Photos and Friends etc.)
- Control who can contact you
- Consider blocking your personal profile from search engines
Secure Your Email
- Sign-up and use Gmail. Google Gmail is free and one of the most secure email providers
- Consider using Google Gmail's optional 2-Step Verification
- Consider using Google Gmail's optional “Advanced Protection” Keys
- Do not post your email address openly on [risky] public sites or public viiewable social media posts or blogs
- Learn to use and train Google Gmail with Spam
Secure Your Wi-Fi Devices
- Do change the default administrator password and Username of any Wi-Fi Router
- Use a complex password and try to change the password at regular intervals
- Position the Router or Wi-Fi Access Point safely out of sight
- Turn off the Network / Wi-Fi routers if you are leaving the location for a few days
Safer Internet Browsing
- Do not click on links inside e-mails or messages (think)
- What you put (post) online will nearly always remain there
- Never trust any free online content!
- Do not provide personal information online to get something free
- Only download programs and apps from approved (trusted) sources
- Do keep up with operating system updates - as often as you can!
- When browsing or shopping on your phone or computer, always look for "https" in the url instead of "http"
Social engineering is a growing technique used by cyber criminals to get access to your confidential information. With social engineering, attackers use emotive manipulation and deceit to trick victims into giving out confidential information. Some of the basic social engineering methods used by attackers are:
- Sending messages (emails) that contain dangerous attachments (e.g. malware) with text (bait) that encourage people to open the attachments
- Sending messages (emails) that contain links to dangerous sites (e.g. malware) with text (bait) that encourage people to visit the links
- Claiming to be the main administrator of a local network and asking for the victim’s password in order to perform a maintenance check
- Telling a victim over the phone that he/she has won a prize, but in return they ask for a credit card number to deliver it
- Telling a victim over the phone that he/she has a virus / problem on their computer (hang up immediately!)
Identity theft refers to a crime where an individual maliciously obtains and uses another individuals personal/sensitive information to commit frauds/scams by using the stolen identity. Mostly this crime is committed for economic gain. The cyber criminal tries to gain access to an individuals information by stealing e-mail details, any stored information on a computer. Identity thefts includes but is not limited to shoulder surfing, dumpster diving, spamming, spoofing, phishing, and skimming.
Protection: There is a article posted here titled "Identity Theft: What is it and what about protection?"
Alert: Read a more in-depth article about Cyber Crime prevention, Safety and Tips here.
Read how the latest Windows 10 offers Security, Threat, and Ransomware Protection here.
I am now a COVID-SAFE South Australia Registered Service 2021
For everyone's safety I am now offering a front entrance COVID-SAFE QR Code CHECK-IN point.
Please note that a free hand sanitiser point is also available at the front door.
Everyone is encouraged to use their smart phone to check-in on arrival with the COVID-Safe Check-in App by scanning my QR Code on display at the front door.
Keeping South Australia safer by a Voluntary COVID-Safe Plan!